The delivery of effective IT services begins at the lowest level with the survey and analysis of the different software systems in your network. Having a thorough understanding of your company’s software infrastructure is crucial to recognizing current business needs, making well-informed IT management decisions, and planning for the future.
A software infrastructure audit will eliminate all the guesswork and uncertainties. It will provide valuable insight into the IT health of your company so you’ll know where potential improvements can be made to gain efficiencies or enhance productivity.
Five Steps to Achieve Software Infrastructure Excellence:
- Background check on all existing software
- Determine the current baseline by consolidating data. This includes listing all software that is currently active, why they are used, who is the owner of each, and the possible replacement.
- Engage in interviews with the owner/s of each software to discuss its specific purpose and use. After the interview, we group all software into categories:
- those that need to be decommissioned
- those that need to be rewritten because the code is outdated and difficult to maintain
- those that are still functional so we just migrate the data
- Third-party software that can be used because it’s cheaper to pay for a subscription or one-off use instead of conducting routine maintenance
- Status report with the main stakeholders and walk them through the result of the audit
- Provide recommendations as to how to move forward and achieve the desired level of efficiency and productivity.
Why Should You Audit Your Software Infrastructure?
- Improve the quality of operations
- Optimize operational costs
- Minimize resource load
- Achieve faster response time
- Enforce better security and policies
- Benchmark your software infrastructure setup
- Ensure compliance with specifications, standards, contractual agreements or other criteria
When Should You Consider a Software Infrastructure Audit?
- When you are looking at operational cost and software infrastructure optimizations
- When you are encountering system performance issues
- When there are build and deployment issues, or inefficient automation
- In case of technical disruptions of one or more software applications
- In case of inefficient monitoring to show progress, identify load issues, what is causing downtime and why
What Software Infrastructure Do We Audit?
- Your entire software systems, including those that are custom-built
- End-of-life legacy software solutions
- Saas and PaaS solutions and setups
- Integrated off-the-shelf software such as Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, SAP products
“The fact is, all companies have software architectural issues. Applications are built and introduced with the best of intentions; but as time passes and growth occurs, more are introduced haphazardly without the bigger picture – the end goal – in mind. This leads to inefficiencies, bloated, and redundant systems. This is when we are brought in to address the root cause, work closely with our customers, understand them & their business, and execute a plan to make changes and improvements.”
Founder & Director – Jhavtech Studios